Image Map

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Balsamic Blueberry Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Hey guys! Sorry about the lack of activity around here, this whole moving thing sucked all my time and energy that usually went towards this blog. But I've had a day to rest so I'm starting to feel back on track! Anyway, on to grilled cheese.


If you've read this blog for a little while, you're probably familiar with my love for blueberries. If not, I'll catch you up really fast: I love blueberries...a lot. Last year Tommy and I went blueberry picking and stuffed out freezer full and enjoyed blueberries all year. Somehow I missed blueberry picking season this year, which really bums me out. They are so dang expensive! So while there are still fresh berries at the store, I'm gonna eat em' like crazy. 

Oh, another thing I love! Cheese. And bread. So I thought, why not combine all three of these things into one little love package? Well my friends, that's what I did and it was pretty dang delicious. 


At this point you might be saying to yourself, "balsamic and blueberries? That's weird." The balsamic vinegar adds a nice tartness to the berries while making the flavor a little more complex. It's a subtle flavor, so don't worry. It's super tasty! If you wanted to get super crazy with it, a slice or two of bacon would be pretty yummy too...just sayin'. If it weirds you out too much, of course you don't have to add it. you'll just end up with a much sweeter grilled cheese. 

Oh, and make sure you use enough cheese! This is not a time to start thinking about calories. You need enough cheese to balance the sweetness of the berries. You don't want them overpowering the sandwich. 

Balsamic Blueberry Grilled Cheese Sandwich
2 slices of bread (I used sourdough)
Plenty of white cheese (I used Havarti, but lots of different  cheeses would be good! Mozzarella, Monterey, Swiss, or Sharp White Cheddar would be yummy. I have been meaning to try goat cheese!)
Fresh spinach or arugala 
1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1 tbs balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 tbs. brown sugar


1. In a small saucepan, combine blueberries, sugar and vinegar. Turn on medium heat and let come to a slow boil. Use a utensil to crush berries as you stir. After boiling for about 5 minutes, pour mixture into a mesh strainer and let the juice syrup separate from the solid berries. Save the syrup for cocktails, pancakes or both!


2. Spread blueberries onto a piece of bread, top with cheese, some spinach, then more cheese! Sprinkle with fresh ground pepper. Top with your other slice of bread and toast. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I appreciate each and every one.